Wednesday, January 22, 2014

"After All This Time?" "Always..."

Yes, some Harry Potter references to a post that will be about my favorite band of all time.

Let me paint the scene for you. Yours truly is about five or six years old, in 1996 or 97. My aunt is about twelve or thirteen, and is babysitting the aforementioned child and her younger sister.

All of a sudden, the children hear something coming from the radio. It sounds creepy at first, but soon becomes a fun song to dance to.

And then, they hear it.

"Backstreet's back, alright!"

Thus, began a love affair with one of the biggest boy bands in the world. I became a huge fan, squealing when their videos came on, collecting every poster in the world. I endured ridicules from classmates after their star faded from America, yet I carried on, my love for these five boys never dwindling.

Fast forward to August 20, 2013. My sister and I, now 22 and 21, are sitting in a couple of chairs at the TWC Pavilion in Raleigh, NC. This was going to be my first concert, and how appropriate that it was a Backstreet Boys concert. They were one of my first musical loves (they compete Michael Jackson and Garth Brooks in my heart).

The concert was just amazing. It was better than my wildest dreams, and I hope I can attend another one. I don't have many words to describe what I felt when I saw them in person. I didn't see them on a TV screen or in a poster, I saw THEM. And now I know what the term "star struck" really means.

Now, my husband is ready to murder me because I have infected my daughter with the Backstreet love. She can sing along to nine songs of theirs, and that number will probably grow. She LOVES "Madeleine" and "Show Em What You're Made Of" (the latter being my song to her as she grows up), and will dance to "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" every time it's on.

Hey, it's better than Justin Bieber!

No comments:

Post a Comment